The information on this page applies only to defendants in the custody of the Travis County Sheriff's Office (TCSO). A defendant is considered to be a person charged with a crime.

A bond is the amount of money set by a judge for releasing a defendant from jail before his/her trial. There are three types of bonds: cash, surety, and personal.

You can find a list of approved bonding companies HERE.

How can I tell which type of bond is required?

Find the defendants charges by using the Sheriff Inmate Population Search (SIPS) . Bond information appears under each charge.


    Bond: $75,000.00 ANY TYPE OF BOND
    CLASS A MISDEMEANOR -- Cause Number: 123456
    Bond: $1,000.00 CASH OR SURETY

What does it mean when the bond line says ANY type of bond?

The defendant may post a cash, surety, or personal bond.

What does it mean when the bond line says cash or surety?

The defendant may only post a cash or surety bond. In this case, no personal bonds will be taken.

What does it mean when the bond line says no bond information available?

No bond has been set for this charge. Bond may be set at a later time.

Cash Bonds

A cash bond is the exact amount of money the defendant must pay before being released from jail. The FULL amount must be paid.

If the charge is from Travis County, you can pay by:

  • Cash (exact amount) - Be sure to bring the exact amount as TCSO cannot give change nor can TCSO accept overages.
  • Money order or cashier’s check made out to the Travis County Sheriff's Office.

If the charge is from another county, you can pay by:

  • Money order, cashier’s check or cash (exact amount). Do not make the money order out to anyone until told to do so by TCSO.

To pay a cash bond in person, bring your payment to:

  • The Travis County Jail - 500 W. 10th St., Austin, TX 78701 or
  • The Travis County Correctional Complex - 3614 Bill Price Road, Del Valle, TX 78617

When can I get a cash bond back?

The money is returned to the defendant after the court case is completely over and the judge orders the money returned.  Bonds paid for delinquent child support are NOT refunded to the payee or to the defendant.  See also Bonds Paid in Delinquent Child Support Cases at the bottom of the page for more information regarding delinquent child support.

I paid a cash bond for someone else. How can I get my money back?

The money paid for a cash bond is returned only to the defendant (except in cases of delinquent child support bonds), regardless of whom paid the bond.

Surety Bonds

A surety bond is a bond posted by a bondsperson.  To post a surety bond, contact a bondsperson. The bondsperson will charge a fee for this service.

Personal Bonds

A Personal Bond is a sworn agreement by the defendant that he/she will return to court as ordered and will comply with the conditions placed on his/her release. No money is required at the time of release, but the defendant is required to pay an administrative fee of $40 or 3% of the bond amount to Pretrial Services within 7 days of release.

To post a personal bond, individual defendants cannot post a personal bond themselves. Only Pretrial Services or an attorney may submit a request for release on personal bond to a judge. Only a judge can approve release on a personal bond. Travis County Pretrial Services interviews the majority of defendants booked on Travis County charges and considers them for release on personal bond. If you wish to inquire about the status of a defendant’s personal bond application, you should contact Travis County Pretrial Services at (512) 854-9381.

Bonds Paid in Delinquent Child Support Cases

In cases of cash bonds paid in delinquent child support cases, the amount of the cash bond is based on the amount of the child support that is delinquent (in arrears), as either a percentage of the arrears or the full amount of the arrears. The cash bond monies posted/paid by the defendant (called "respondent" in civil law) at TCSO are forwarded to the District Clerk's Office. From there, the monies are sent to the child support registry who in turn sends them to the person who has legal custody of the children (called the payee). The cash bond is not returned to the person who paid the bond, however the person who owes the child support does get credit for this payment towards his/her child support obligation.


Back to Top