Skip to main content

Non-Criminal Incidents

Accidental/Natural Deaths and Suicide

When a death occurs, naturally or unexpectedly, it can be a very upsetting and sometimes traumatic event for those involved. Law Enforcement is usually called to the scene when someone has died accidentally and/or naturally, or by suicide. After assessing the situation, our Criminal Investigation Division may be called if there is any concern that the death was unnatural and/or accidental. If it is determined that the death was natural, with no concern of criminal or accidental activity, a detective will most likely not be assigned.

In any case of a death, the Travis County Medical Examiner’s Office will be notified. If the death was natural, law enforcement will attempt to contact the deceased person’s primary care physician. If the physician agrees to sign the death certificate, the Medical Examiner will likely leave the body with the loved ones to arrange funeral services. The selected funeral home will typically transport the body to their facility. If there is no primary care physician located or willing to sign the death certificate, or if there is any concern that the death was unnatural, the Medical Examiner will transport the body to their office for examination.

If a death results from a traffic accident/collision, we will contact the Texas Department of Public Safety to investigate.

The loss of a loved one or a major traumatic incident can cause feelings of grief. Visit our Resources page for assistance.

Child Custody and Child Support

Family crises often lead to questions about child custody and child support. We often speak with individuals who are concerned about how to proceed when they have concerns about their children’s safety, but don’t want to violate a court order or need a court order in place to help safeguard their children. If you have concerns about your child custody or child support situation, the information on this page may be helpful to you. PLEASE NOTE: This page is for informational purposes only. TCSO Victim Services does NOT provide legal representation or legal services, nor should any information in this section be considered legal advice. If you need further assistance with your legal situation, please refer to the resources page.

The Office of the Attorney General of Texas (OAG) is the official child support enforcement agency for the state. It provides services for parents who wish to obtain or provide support for their children. The OAG provides parents with a full range of child support services at no cost. However, the OAG represents the State of Texas and cannot represent individuals involved in child support claims. If you need to file a child support case in Texas or have questions about an open case, contact the OAG Child Support Division at 800-252-8014.

If you have questions about protective orders and custody issues, consult the agency assisting you with the protective order, your attorney, or you may contact our Victim Services Unit at 512-854-9709 | This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.. Visit our Resources page for assistance.

Structure Fire

When a fire strikes, the lives of you, your family members and pets are turned around. Depending on the extent of the damage, the structure may be weakened and subject to collapse. If the fire does not result in a total loss, it is important to follow recommendations by the Fire Department, as they will ensure that utilities are either safe or disconnected before they leave the scene. Food, beverages and medicine exposed to heat, smoke, soot and water should not be consumed. In some cases, it may be necessary to board up openings such as doors and windows. If the structure is deemed uninhabitable, a Home Check Request can be requested through the Sheriff’s Office, to assist with possible theft/looting

The Fire Department and/or Fire Marshall will notify you of the integrity of the structure, and if it is safe to do so, you may be allowed to enter the structure to retrieve important items to include documents, jewelry, medical equipment, cell phone, medications, purse/wallet, etc.

Regardless of whether or not you have home insurance, a fire can be devastating and even traumatic. Visit our Resources page for assistance.

Substance Use Disorder

Alcoholism, drug dependence and addiction, known as substance use disorders, are complex problems. People with these disorders once were thought to have a character defect or moral weakness; some people mistakenly still believe that. However, most scientists and medical researchers now consider dependence on alcohol or drugs to be a long-term illness, like asthma, hypertension, or diabetes. Most people who drink alcohol drink very little, and many people can stop taking drugs without a struggle. However, some people develop a substance use disorder - use of alcohol or drugs that is compulsive or dangerous (or both).

One of the most important signs of substance addiction or dependence is continued use of drugs or alcohol despite experiencing the serious negative consequences of heavy drug or alcohol use. Often, a person will blame other people or circumstances for his or her problems instead of realizing that the difficulties result from use of drugs or alcohol. Perhaps your loved one has even blamed you. People with this illness really may believe that they drink normally or that “everyone” takes drugs. These false beliefs are called denial, and denial is part of the illness.

If you or someone you know is experiencing issues with substance abuse, there are several types of treatment programs available to include inpatient/outpatient, residential programs, partial hospitalization/day treatment, etc. Visit our Resources page for assistance.

Can’t find what you are looking for?

If you need additional assistance, please visit our Contact Us page.

To report website issues or share feedback, please use our feedback form.